MA: US 5/202

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Clinched Highway Mapping Forum Index -> Old topics
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bickendan

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2009 5:14 pm    Post subject: MA: US 5/202 Reply with quote

My concurrency list said I had some US 202 on the US 5 duplex, but there seems to be a point label issue:

Code:
US 202                 US 5
MA US202 US5_S FraSt   MA US5 US202 FraSt
MA US202 FraSt MA141   MA US5 FraSt MA141
MA US202 MA141 US5_N   MA US5 MA141 LinSt

I think the LinSt tag on US 5 should be US202_S.
Back to top View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
froggie

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2009 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On a related note, one problem with Holyoke and the medium we're using here for these clinched systems, is that northbound and southbound US 202 are on vastly different streets. Northbound 202 uses Beech St through town, but southbound 202 veers clear away from that, using Hampden St to Lincoln St then duplexing with southbound 5. So strictly speaking, if one was only on northbound 5 through there, you weren't on 202 at all.
yakra

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2009 12:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right. And not having a very clean & simple way to "split the difference" as with 1-way couplets, rotaries, etc, I chose to use the SB routing, as:
* AASHTO route logs have US202 as joining/leaving US5.
* historic routing

I'm open to reconsidering points/locations.*

Grin - I had these same lines appear on my concurrent.php, having only clinched that segment northbound. I forgot about this peculiarity long enough to add this to my ToDo list.

Also note the false positives for the infamous PA US19TrkPit.*

* RI US1? RI114?
Back to top View user's profile Send private message
terescoj

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was pretty sure that US 202 North was also signed along the "southbound only" northern routing through Holyoke. So I took that route in to work this morning.

Leaving I-91 North at Exit 17A (marked for MA 141), down the ramp toward 5/202, the "Massachusetts Green Signs" (the square ones on posts) all mention both 5 and 202 North and South along Northampton St. I took a left to follow 5 and 202 North. There is another MGS showing 202 North turning right onto Lincoln St. I saw at least 2 US 202 North shields along my way through Holyoke, one on Lincoln and one on Hampden, before I joined up with the "real" US 202 North routing at Beech St.

So... both US 202 routings are signed northbound. I don't believe that there is any southbound signage along Beech St (much of it is one-way anyway) but I'll see if I can navigate my way to the area and take Beech St. south from the start of the 2-way section to it's junction with US 5.

I'm not making any arguments for changes to the way US 202 is represented in the project, just throwing out some more information for the discussion.
yakra

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

terescoj wrote:
Leaving I-91 North at Exit 17A (marked for MA 141), down the ramp toward 5/202, the "Massachusetts Green Signs" (the square ones on posts) all mention both 5 and 202 North and South along Northampton St. I took a left to follow 5 and 202 North. There is another MGS showing 202 North turning right onto Lincoln St. I saw at least 2 US 202 North shields along my way through Holyoke, one on Lincoln and one on Hampden, before I joined up with the "real" US 202 North routing at Beech St.
Indeed! Streetview confirms this. Hm. I thought I checked this all out in Streetview; I must not have examined the SB routing NB.

Quote:
So... both US 202 routings are signed northbound. I don't believe that there is any southbound signage along Beech St (much of it is one-way anyway) but I'll see if I can navigate my way to the area and take Beech St. south from the start of the 2-way section to it's junction with US 5.
I doubt there'd be anything signed SB along this segment, considering the 1-way sections. If nothing else, it's only signed toward the true SB alignment from the wotawy at the end of the bridge.

Quote:
I'm not making any arguments for changes to the way US 202 is represented in the project, just throwing out some more information for the discussion.
Shrug. If anything, this info further legitimizes the choice of the routing as we have it now.

I see Streetview appears to show signage for 202 north via Lincoln as you approach on US5 south.
Hm.
I chose the point labels for US5 under the assumption that there'd be no signage for 202 exiting the duplex at Lincoln. I see that that reasoning kinda falls to the ground.
So I don't really see a perfect foolproof way to handle the labeling along this duplex, and am content to leave it as is. Unless someone can come up with a really good argument. =)

There's a little more discussion in this thread - doesn't really cover any ground this thread doesn't, but there's the link just the same for completeness' sake.
oxlahun

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 12:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

terescoj wrote:
I was pretty sure that US 202 North was also signed along the "southbound only" northern routing through Holyoke. So I took that route in to work this morning.

Wow. I didn't know you were in the Valley. Hi, neighbor!

I'm not sure there are any US202 North signs on northbound US5 before you get to MA141. I think if you're northbound on either US5 or US202, you're always sent up Beech St.

If I remember in the morning, I'll check. No promises. That'll be before I've had my coffee.

There are definitely no US202 South blazes on the 2-way part of Beech approaching US5, nor are there any on Linden (going straight at the south end of the bridge instead of turning up Hampden).
yakra

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 2:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

oxlahun wrote:
I'm not sure there are any US202 North signs on northbound US5 before you get to MA141. I think if you're northbound on either US5 or US202, you're always sent up Beech St.
There are definitely no US202 South blazes on the 2-way part of Beech approaching US5, nor are there any on Linden (going straight at the south end of the bridge instead of turning up Hampden).
I saw none in StreetView in both cases.
terescoj

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oxlahun wrote:
Wow. I didn't know you were in the Valley. Hi, neighbor!

A few days a week, anyway. I'm living in the Mohawk Valley, working in the Connecticut Valley (Mount Holyoke College). 2 trips per week back and forth on the Thruway and Mass Pike, with 2 nights staying out here in MA.
oxlahun

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yakra wrote:
oxlahun wrote:
I saw none in StreetView in both cases.

You know, I tried writing that three different ways before I posted it and I almost softened it with "I'm pretty sure there are no...". I drive that way maybe once every couple of weeks for the past 3 years, and I've never noticed a

http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&ll=42.20224,-72.620959&spn=0,359.989378&z=17&layer=c&cbll=42.202284,-72.620849&panoid=g-1K3wLj2Uq2P9rRHm1Yaw&cbp=12,268.46,,1,0.01

Phbbbbt. Right in the middle of the picture (technically in the yard of the grey & white house, but because of the angle, visible in contrast to the screened porch of the tan house).

terescoj, I work at MHC, too, in LITS.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Clinched Highway Mapping Forum Index -> Old topics All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: